Skip top navigation

Radon Lurks In Many Upstate Homes

Radon Lurks In Many Upstate Homes

HENDERSONVILLE, N.C. -- Eddie Metcalfe of Hendersonville says he's lucky to be alive and he gives partial credit to a kidney stone.

In January 2008, Metcalfe, a regional manager for a spice company, was on a business trip in south Florida.

"I woke up in the middle of the morning and passed a kidney stone and went that morning to the emergency room at the local hospital," Metcalfe told WYFF News 4's Myra Ruiz. "They did a CAT scan on my kidneys and found I had a spot on my lung."

Doctors diagnosed Metcalfe with lung cancer. "The fact that I hadn't smoked in 23 years pretty much ruled out smoking. I'm not around smoke. I don't work in an environment that's cancer-causing."

That's when Metcalfe learned about radon - a colorless, odorless gas - from his doctor back home.

"He told me that it was the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the United States," Metcalfe said.

Immediately, Metcalfe bought a test kit from a local home improvement store.

Read More