Radon in the News
It's an odorless, tasteless gas that rises naturally from the soil and lurks in the quiet corners of many Douglas County homes.
It's also the leading cause of lung cancer among nonsmokers and the second leading cause of lung cancer among smokers.
The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that 21,000 people die each year from exposure to radon gas in their home.
A meeting for residents to share information about testing for radon and reducing levels that are above the safe minimums will be held 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the CVIC Hall in Minden.
Members of the Cooperative Extension made a presentation to Douglas County commissioners on Monday, where the county declared January Radon Action Month.
Nevada Radon Education Program Director Susan Howe said Lake Tahoe is a hotspot for the gas, but that it has been detected in homes throughout the county.
Radon detection kits are available free from the Cooperative Extension Office in Gardnerville.
NEVADA - Elevated levels of radon have been found in 37 percent of the Carson City homes that have been tested, said Susan Howe, program director for the Nevada Radon Education Program through the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension.
Howe was in Carson City this past week to request that the board of supervisors declare January National Radon Action Month.
Howe said that the radon percentage is even higher — 56 percent — in the 89703 zip code, and nearly 43 percent in the 89702 area. In the 89706 neighborhoods, which include a portion of Lyon County, the percentage was nearly 22 percent, and in 89701, it was more than 26 percent. In 89705, which is mostly Douglas County, it was nearly 20 percent.
Radon levels are measured in picoCuries per liter, or pCi/L. Most households testing positive in Carson City were in the 0-20 range, some were up to 50, but one home in the 89701 zip code area measured levels of over 100.
BOZEMAN - You can't see it, smell it or taste it, yet it's the leading cause of non-smoking lung cancer in the United States. And that is why the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has declared January National Radon Action Month.
So, what is radon? The Gallatin County Health Department told us all about radon and why it is so important to Montana.
"The Bozeman area, and actually the state of Montana, is at the highest class of radon content just based on our mineral content in the ground and just our geological features of the state," sanitarian Treavor Johnson said.
Radon is a naturally occurring radio-active gas caused from uranium in the soil which enters homes often undetected. Statistics show that 50 percent of all homes in Montana will test positive for high levels of radon, potentially causing health risks.
Invisible Gas is Second Leading Cause of Lung Cancer
Watch this KJCT8 news segment.
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. -- We have a warning for you about a lung cancer-causing gas that could be lurking inside your home.
It's called Radon. The byproduct of decomposing Uranium deep below the earth's surface seeps up through the ground and can become trapped inside your home, especially during the winter.
It's the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the United States right behind smoking.
Experts say you should use a test kit to figure out your home's levels. And if they're high, they're advising that you pay the money to get rid of the Radon.
Watch this WHSV news segment.
Radon is something you can't see or smell but, you need to know about to keep your family safe.
It's a naturally occurring radioactive gas that is likely in your home and specialists say one in three homes in the Valley have unsafe levels.
The rocky soil in the area makes homes, businesses and apartment buildings more susceptible.
The radon comes from decaying uranium and thorium, which exist naturally in the soil and rocks.
Continuously breathing in unsafe levels of radon is the equivalent of smoking numerous cigarettes per day.
Keith Micallef, the owner of Accurate Home Inspections and a Certified Radon Specialist, says he has seen more people testing.
Radon exposure is the leading cause of non-smoking lung cancer
WASHINGTON – January is National Radon Action Month and the U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and eight other federal agencies are announcing a new effort to strengthen the fight against radon exposure. Radon exposure is the leading cause of non-smoking lung cancer. Senior leaders from the federal agencies are pledging to work together to create a national risk reduction plan for radon that will help save lives and create safer, healthier homes for all Americans.
“Radon is a serious public health threat that leads to more than 21,000 deaths each year,” said Gina McCarthy, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Air and Radiation. “This new federal partnership will help Americans reduce their risk of radon exposure.”
The World Health Organization and Environmental Protection Agency have announced a call to action for Americans to test their homes for Radon Gas, which has recently been identified as the leading cause of lung cancer for non-smokers in the U.S.
The EPA has officially designated January 2011 to be National Radon Action Month in the United States. The press, local health departments, and the media are encouraged to help save lives in 2011 by promoting National Radon Action Month.
Radon is a naturally-occurring, radioactive gas that seeps out of the ground and can enter homes and other buildings. Since Radon is invisible and odorless, the only way to know if a home has dangerous levels of the gas is to conduct a Radon test. Radon problems have been found in every county of the U.S. so the Surgeon General is recommending that all homes are tested.
Around the US. contamination is being discovered but what are our public suppliers not telling us?
Watch this video.
HOUSTON — A radioactive water well that is controlled by the City of Houston, and that serves residents of Jersey Village, is no longer being used, according to the communications director for Houston Mayor Annise Parker.
On Monday, a KHOU-TV investigation revealed Jersey Village water well #3 was one of 10 water wells identified by recent federal tests as having tested high for a particularly damaging form of radiation called alpha radiation.
As recently as two weeks ago, city officials had said that same well, and nine others across the city, remained online and “available for use,” even after being identified in a draft report by the United States Geological Survey as testing high for radioactive contaminants that are known to immediately increase risks for cancer.
The threat of radon makes this the season to be wary.
The gas that can't be seen or smelled but is the second-leading cause of lung cancer — smoking is No. 1 — is a particular peril to this area at this time of year.
"A lot has to do with the geology in this area," said Jerry Weyer of Radon Reduction Specialists in Manitowoc, referring to the traces of uranium in the regional bedrock that converts to radioactive radon gas as it decays. "But houses are shut tight at this time of year — that allows the radon to be sucked into the home."
Kerri and Howard Herrild found that out when they purchased their Ledgeview house in November. A radon test revealed that the gas levels in the home were above 4 picocuries, the radiation safety standard set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
With a 2-year-old in the house, the Herrilds spent $600 to have a radon reduction system installed before they moved in over the Thanksgiving weekend.
Some residents in Chelsea, Que., are spending thousands of dollars to rid their drinking water of radioactive gas.
Radon gas forms naturally from the breakdown of uranium in the ground and seeps up through basements and cracks in the foundation of houses.
Chelsea resident Dugald Seely installed a specialized ventilation system to remove radon when he moved to the area, but he said the gas was still getting into his house. That's when he began to suspect his well water.
"Many houses won't have this as an issue, but I think it's worth checking," Seely said. "Especially when there are kids that are going through development and are at high risk."
A U.S. lab tested his water and found high radon levels. While the water is safe to drink, Seely said running the taps releases radon into the air.
Charlotte Barrette-Brisson, a Montreal-based radon mitigation expert, said she was "surprised" to learn radon is being released through the taps.