Skip top navigation


Students recognized for local radon project

Superior’s Advanced Biology class recently competed at the 12th Annual Clean Air and Healthy Homes Program. On May 17, the students took their data regarding a remediation project they did at the school earlier this year.

The project stemmed from a class where students received radon detectors from Clean and Healthy Homes. They tested radon in the school and found high levels, especially in the basement. As a result, the students created a remediation project to help eliminate the noxious gas. Their efforts were successful and it lead to a presentation at the Annual Montana Science Fair held in March at the University of Montana.

At the Clean Air and Healthy Homes competition in Missoula, they presented their results to a cast of scientific judges. Superior students competed against 180 students from eight schools from around western Montana and Idaho.

Grand Forks receives grant for radon education in schools

The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Reinvestment Fund is supporting health care officials, educators and community leaders in Grand Forks who will work to address the risk of developing radon-induced lung cancer by creating an education program for children.

The goal is to raise awareness of the cancer-causing gas so more people will test for it and mitigate the problem if levels are too high, UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences professor Gary Schwartz said.

"Radon is really an invisible but very real health hazard for North Dakotans, and a lot of people don't know anything about it," he said.

Radon is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced by decaying uranium in the earth. It is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S., according to the according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

FCPS To Vote On Radon Repairs Monday

The Fayette County School Board is expected to vote on a potential solution after identifying nine schools that tested positive for high levels of radon.

Nine schools tested positive for the gas. Radon is a radioactive, colorless, odorless, tasteless noble gas, occurring naturally as a decay product of radium. It is also the second leading cause of lung cancer.

Early this month, radon was found in nine schools Bryan Station High School, Booker T. Washington Intermediate Academy, Harrison Elementary, Leestown Middle School, Lexington Traditional Magnet School, Mary Todd Elementary, Russell Cave Elementary, SCAPA and Sandersville Elementary.

In 2015, LEX Investigates featured a story on radon testing in public schools. After testing for radon at Locust Elementary returned high levels, all 66 schools were tested.

High radon levels found at nine Fayette County schools

High radon levels were found at nine Fayette County Public Schools, requiring an emergency fix, a district official said Thursday.

The schools were: Bryan Station High, Booker T. Washington Intermediate, Harrison, Leestown Middle, LTMS, Mary Todd, Russell Cave, SCAPA and Sandersville. The remediation will cost $571,846.

Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas, according to the EPA website. It comes from the natural decay of uranium that is found in nearly all soils. It moves up through the ground to the air and into buildings through cracks and other holes in the foundation.

The levels of radon are higher than the 4 picocuries per liter limit recommended by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The highest level found was Harrison Elementary at 15.8 picocuries per level.

Myron Thompson, acting senior director of operations and support, said work will begin during spring break and continue over the summer, all when students are not present.

Radon: It could be lurking in your home or child’s school

Lung cancer is the deadliest cancer in the Unites States. It’s caused most frequently by smoking, but radon exposure is believed to be the second leading cause. Radon may be lurking in your own home or your child’s school without you even knowing.

Read the rest of the article here.

Elevated radon levels at Montgomery Co. schools prompt concerns

Elevated radon levels at Montgomery Co. schools prompt concerns

WASHINGTON — Parents alarmed by the news that elevated levels of radon have been found in 26 Montgomery County schools and two school system facilities say they want answers — including what remediation efforts have been carried out.

According to information supplied by the school system, some of those elevated ratings were discovered as far back as 2012.

Montgomery County Councilmember Craig Rice, who backed county legislation requiring radon testing when single family homes are sold, says he’s concerned about the findings.

“I was actually in contact with the schools back when we had originally introduced the radon legislation and was assured that testing was being done and that those levels were safe,” he said.

Rice says he now has more questions for school officials.

The Fallsmead Elementary PTA hosted a meeting Tuesday night, where officials from the school system were expected to explain the findings in the report, made public by the Parents Coalition.

Keny-Guyer Wins Resounding Approval for Radon Testing in Schools

The House voted 54-4 on Wednesday on a bill to get all schools in Oregon to test for radon by 2021.

House Bill 2931 will start the process by ordering the Oregon Health Authority to share its public health advice with schools about the hazards regarding radon. Each school district will then have to develop a plan for testing for the deadly element, and do so by the beginning of 2021.

“Radon is an odorless and invisible gas that seeps up through rock,” said Rep. Alissa Keny-Guyer, D-Portland, the bill’s chief sponsor. “It’s the second-leading cause of lung cancer. … We want all schools to go through a testing process if they haven’t done so in the last 10 years.”

Radon is a naturally occurring gaseous element that leaks up from the ground in sporadic pockets across the state, from Scappoose to La Grande and east Portland to Salem. Radon inhalation kills 21,000 Americans each year. It is the easiest way to get lung cancer for non-smokers.

4 New American National Radon Standards Released By AARST

4 New American National Radon Standards Released By AARST

The American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists (AARST), has released four American National Standards for radon measurement and mitigation that will greatly enhance radon risk reduction in the United States. These new standards will be available for shipping on February 1, 2014 at www.aarst.org/bookstore.shtml

The new ANSI-approved standards were developed by the AARST Consortium on National Radon Standards, and include advances in consensus standards for mitigating radon in multi-family housing, and in large buildings and schools, as well as standards for measuring radon in single family homes and in large buildings and schools.

Gary Hodgden, Chair of the AARST National Radon Standards Consortium Executive Stakeholders Committee, announced that the four standards approved through the ANSI accredited process include:

Radon Mitigation Standards for Multifamily Buildings (RMS-MF 2014)

Excessive radon detected in Wilton High School’s athletic office

The radon level in Wilton High School’s athletic director’s office exceeds the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)’s recommended radon exposure limit of 4.0 picocuries per liter of air (pCi/L), according to radon test results the Wilton School District received on May 7.

In addition to the high school, the Wilton School District also received the results of testing conducted at Cider Mill and Middlebrook.

Superintendent Gary Richards shared the results of the radon testing, conducted by Cardno ATC, at the Board of Education’s May 8 meeting.

According to Cardno ATC’s final report, the laboratory analytical results for the high school’s athletic director’s office, located in the Field House, measured 7.4 pCi/L.

Read the full article here.

All Metro Schools Tested For Radon Gas

All Metro Schools Tested For Radon Gas

Watch this news segment: http://www.newschannel5.com/story/16309255/all-metro-schools-tested-for-radon-gas

More than half of all Metro schools have high levels of the cancer causing gas, radon.

Those are the results after the first phase of testing from the Metro Health Department.

The testing started after a NewsChannel 5 Investigation discovered a forgotten local law that required tests.

Last spring, Metro Health Department employees began hanging radon test kits in every ground level classroom over various weekends.

NewsChannel 5 Investigates has learned all schools have now been tested at least once.

Seventy-eight of Metro's 144 schools have classrooms with radon levels above what the EPA says is acceptable.

Seven of those schools have classrooms more than 5 times higher than the EPA standard.