Skip top navigation

radon tee

CanSAR's Radon Tee Climbs Castle Rock to Raise Radon Awareness

Radon TEE and an enthusiastic crowd climbed Castle Rock at 1710 Front St in Castle Rock, Aug. 13. CanSAR (Cancer Survivors Against Radon) a non-profit organization dedicated to preventing radon-induced lung cancer and saving lives through education and awareness, sponsors events to raise awareness of Radon, the silent killer. Radon is a radioactive colorless, odorless, tasteless gas occurring naturally as the decay product of radium and it is in our homes. We climb outside to bring awareness to our indoor air quality.

Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. Radon can be prevented. A simple, inexpensive test lets you know if you and your family are being exposed to a dangerous level of radon. A certified radon mitigation expert can fix your home to lower the level to a minimal, non-dangerous level.

Radon Tee Swings By Swansea Safety Group Seminar

Founded in 1943, the Swansea and West Wales Occupational Safety Group is committed to improving occupational health and safety in the Swansea and West Wales region. The Group’s members include over 100 representatives from varying sectors, including heavy industry, manufacturing, the service sector and local government.

In addition to a monthly calendar of events for members, each year the Safety Group holds the Alec Blackburn Memorial Seminar, to which members and safety representatives from local businesses are invited. Entitled ‘Health and Safety, Be Part Of The Solution’, this year’s seminar was chaired by Mr Terry Rose, Health and Safety Executive Divisional Director Wales and South West and included talks covering subjects including leadership, risk management, behavioural safety and corporate responsibility.

A Radon Trek Story: Community Health in Colorado

A Radon Trek Story: Community Health in Colorado

We are eager to hear about the successful outreach conducted through the Radon Tee: World Trek 2010! To share your Radon Tee: World Trek 2010 story and inspire others, visit www.radonleaders.org/radontee/share and tell us about your experience. The stories we receive may be featured here in the RadonLeaders.org InFocus.

The following narrative tells the story of classmates Cristine Solomon and Diane Dougherty, nursing students in Aurora, Colorado, who were inspired to educate the public about the potential health risk presented by radon exposure.

Spotlight: Watching out for you - Minimize your risk of radon exposure

Gail Dobbs was diagnosed with lung cancer last year.

She didn’t smoke, and she didn’t have a family history of lung cancer.

What she had was prolonged exposure to high levels of the radioactive gas radon. It’s likely that thousands of other Georgians are being exposed, too.

“When you first get the diagnosis, it’s shocking,” said Dobbs, who is 59 and has lived in her Monroe home for 30 years. “You think ... where could it possibly come from?”

Radon is an invisible and odorless gas that breaks down from uranium, granite, shale and phosphate and seeps into soil and water. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says it’s the leading cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers and causes up to 14 percent of all lung cancer deaths each year in the U.S. That’s about 22,000 people. Georgia leads the Southeast, according to the EPA, with an average of 822 deaths yearly.

Radon Tee Appears with London Landmarks to Lobby for Building Regs Changes

 Radon Tee Appears with London Landmarks to Lobby for Building Regs Changes

A T-Shirt travelling the globe to spread the message Reduce Radon & Save Lives has been photographed outside London’s Houses of Parliament with specialist contractors, ProTen Services.

Bath, United Kingdom, February 24, 2010 -- Martin Freeman, Managing Director of ProTen Services, posed with the Radon Tee outside the House of Lords, the House of Commons and Big Ben this week.

Ministers at the Houses of Parliament are responsible for passing legislation in the UK, including the Building Regulations, which stipulate whether new buildings and extensions or conversions must be protected from radon.

Currently, only properties located in certain areas of the country are required under Building Regulations to incorporate radon protective measures into the build.