RadonLeaders.org
Skip top navigation

Portland

Main office at Portland's Lent School closed due to high radon levels

A second round of radon testing in six rooms at four Portland schools revealed persistent very high levels of radioactive radon in the Lent School main office, so office functions have been moved to another room in the school, district officials announced late Thursday.

It is the latest in a long string of environmental safety problems revealed by officials in Oregon's largest school district this spring and summer.

Radon is an invisible, odorless gas that occurs naturally in the ground. Exposure over long periods of time can lead to lung cancer. Even when vented 24 hours a day, the Lent office gave off radon readings at three time the federal danger threshold....

Full article here: http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2016/06/main_office_at_portlands_lent.html

Cancer-causing radon gas shuts Portland school cafeteria

The cafeteria at Alliance High School in Northeast Portland has been closed after a second round of testing showed dangerously high levels of cancer-causing radon gas, Portland school district officials announced late Friday afternoon.

The test results indicate they were emailed to the school district on Tuesday; it was unclear why school district officials waited three days to make them public.

Alliance, a small alternative high school emphasizing professional-technical skills, is located on Northeast Alberta Street and serves about 200 students, mostly age 17 and older. Its building is the former Meek Elementary...

Read full article at he The Oregonian/OregonLive: http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2016/06/cancer-causing_radon_gas_shuts.html

New radon hot spots appearing in Oregon

Watch Video here: http://www.kgw.com/news/local/radon-hot-spots-popping-up-in-oregon/20033196

PORTLAND, Ore. -- New research shows radon gas is popping up in some surprising places.

You can't see it, taste it or smell it, but radon exists in roughly one out of every four Portland-area homes.

And it can be deadly.

At only 49 years old, Darcy White was diagnosed with lung cancer, a year after her mother died from it.

"I had a 38 percent chance of survival after five years," White explained. "And I'll be at seven years this April 7th."

After chemotherapy and surgery to remove part of her lung, White is now cancer free and on a mission to warn people about radon.

It's what her doctor believes caused her cancer.

"He said 'I believe it was radon particularly because where you were raised,'" she said.

Portland's Grove Infants School (UK) Closed in Radioactive Gas Alert

A dangerous gas alert has closed a primary school on Portland.

Pupils were told not to return to Grove Infants School after high levels of the colourless, odourless radioactive gas radon were detected in parts of its building.

Around 70 children were hastily relocated to two classrooms and a school hall at St George’s Primary School at Easton.

It is hoped that the contaminated school will reopen after half term in early November. In the meantime emergency work is being carried out to ventilate the building in Grove Road.

Radon can cause lung cancer if it is inhaled over a period of time.

Headteacher Jane Hurdiss of Grove Infants School said it was ‘all a bit of nightmare’ but they were lucky St George’s could accommodate their 24 Little Stars reception children and 46 pupils.

The alert followed routine radon testing by Dorset County Council at Grove Infants, St George’s School and Royal Manor Arts College.