RadonLeaders.org
Skip top navigation

national poster contest

Local Students Design Winning Posters

Local Students Design Winning Posters

RADON DANGERS — It comes out of the ground, is the second leading cause of lung cancer, and all homes are susceptible to the deadly radioactive gas. These are just a few of the facts that inspired three area students to be named regional winners in a statewide poster contest designed to educate and raise awareness about the harmful effects of indoor radon gas.

Radon is a colorless, odorless, tasteless radioactive gas. It comes from the natural decay of uranium that is found in nearly all soils. It enters homes through small cracks in foundations and crawl spaces. High levels of the radioactive gas are responsible for nearly 1,200 lung-cancer deaths in the state of Illinois each year.

“Radon is one of the things you never know you have until you test your home,” said Patti Thompson, communications manager of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency.