OTTAWA — Canadians should have their homes checked for radon, a colourless and odourless gas that can have potentially deadly effects over time, health organizations warn.
The Canadian Medical Association, the Canadian Lung Association and Health Canada have joined forces to raise awareness about exposure to radon.
Formed by the breakdown of uranium, the naturally occurring radioactive gas is present in all soil. In the open air, radon gas is diluted to low levels and does not pose a health risk. But radon can enter a home through dirt floors, cracks in concrete, joints and basement drains; in enclosed spaces such as basements, the gas can reach levels harmful to health.
"Many Canadians are not aware of the risks from residential radon gas and what they can do to stay healthy," CMA president Dr. Jeff Turnbull said in a release Tuesday. "With winter approaching, physicians want to make sure their patients are aware of this potential health hazard."
Mineral crystals form the colors, mottling and striations that make granite an attractive choice for countertops, but those crystals can contain radioactive elements like uranium. Over time, uranium breaks down into a gas called radon. Radon is radioactive and you can't detect it by sight, smell or taste, which leaves consumers wondering about the safety of granite countertops.
Marshall Loeb, former editor of the magazines Fortune and Money writes a Daily Money Tip feature for Dow Jones MarketWatch. On Tuesday, August 19, 2008 Mr. Loeb's tip was to test for radon. Read the full article here.
October 1, 2008
The cost of heating a home is expected to be higher than ever this winter, so this is a good time to batten down the hatches by caulking, sealing and weather-stripping every cold air entry point.
But homeowner beware: the quick fix could create a more serious set of problems, because the better you are at sealing icy air out, the more likely you are to keep potentially harmful gases like radon sealed in.
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can’t be seen, smelled or tasted. “It is a classic carcinogen,” said Philip Jalbert, the radon team leader for the Environmental Protection Agency in Washington. “We estimate that about 20,000 people die from radon-induced lung cancer every year,” making it the country’s second-highest cause of lung cancer, behind smoking.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) -- A bill that would regulate the trade of testing homes and businesses for radon has cleared the Kentucky House by a wide margin.
The measure would require radon testers to be licensed, take part in continuing education and be bonded. The proposal passed the House on an 85-12 vote Tuesday, and it now heads to the Senate.
Democratic Rep. Steve Riggs of Louisville said in a release that his bill comes after "horror stories" from victims of shoddy work who basically got nothing for their money.
Radon is a colorless, odorless, naturally occurring gas.
Riggs cited federal statistics indicating that radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. and is responsible for 21,000 deaths nationwide each year.
The legislation is House Bill 247.
To view this article, visit http://www.fox41.com/story/14037288/house-oks-bill-to-regulate-radon-testers.
It's easy to pretend that radon doesn't exist because we can't see it, taste it or smell it. To many homeowners, it's "something that other people have to worry about," and they think, "How bad can it really be?"
Well, according to the Environmental Protection Agency Web site, radon exposure is second only to smoking for causing lung cancer. And because it's a naturally occurring radioactive gas that is the result of uranium decay found in nearly all soils, trapping it in confined spaces can be detrimental to the inhabitants.
The gas moves through the ground and into the air. Most often, radon penetrates a home through cracks in walls and solid floors and other holes in the foundation, such as gaps around service pipes. It doesn't matter if a house is old or new, drafty or sealed. The gas gets trapped, and if the levels are concentrated enough, it can pose a health risk.
President offers Earth Day advice
Can't get enough of the Earth Day festivities? Try logging onto the White House's new Earth Day Web site.
The site not only includes a video of President Obama touting Earth Day's importance, it also directs you to a handy list, provided by the Environmental Protection Agency, called "Pick 5 for the Environment," that allows you to select from a menu of 10 green activities that you might like to commit to, such as conserving water, recycling and testing your home for radon.
Obama tells Americans in the video, "I want you to take action -- in your home or your community; at your school or your business -- to improve our environment. It can be as simple as riding the bus or the subway to work, making your home more energy-efficient, or organizing your neighbors to clean up a nearby park."
Radon levels at Washougal City Hall force changes
Air quality testing at Washougal City Hall revealed high levels of radon gas throughout the building, prompting the mayor to relocate most employees to other city buildings.
Exposure to radon, a natural component in soil gases, can cause cancer, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. The average indoor radon level is 1.3 picoCuries of radiation per liter (pCi/L) of air, the EPA says.
Testing in Washougal City Hall earlier this month measured levels between 11 pCi/L and 26 pCi/L, with the highest concentration in a closed basement storage area, Mayor Sean Guard said in a news release. Findings were received Monday.
A level of 4 pCi/L should prompt action to lower the radon level, the EPA says. Guard said the EPA stopped short of calling City Hall unsafe but said it required immediate action.
Q: My wife says I should be concerned about radon in our house. What kind of test should we use, and how often?
A: Radon, a colorless, odorless, radioactive gas, enters a home through cracks in the foundation, holes or cavities around pipes, through floor drains or sump pump openings.
Breathing it in creates no immediate symptoms, but over time, it can cause lung cancer and will significantly increase the risk of lung cancer among smokers who are also exposed to radon. More than 20,000 people will die this year after breathing too much radon without knowing it.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers offers the following tips to protect from radon exposure.
•The only way to figure out if your home has high levels of radon is to perform a test. There are two types of tests: short- and long-term.