Radon TEE and an enthusiastic crowd climbed Castle Rock at 1710 Front St in Castle Rock, Aug. 13. CanSAR (Cancer Survivors Against Radon) a non-profit organization dedicated to preventing radon-induced lung cancer and saving lives through education and awareness, sponsors events to raise awareness of Radon, the silent killer. Radon is a radioactive colorless, odorless, tasteless gas occurring naturally as the decay product of radium and it is in our homes. We climb outside to bring awareness to our indoor air quality.
Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. Radon can be prevented. A simple, inexpensive test lets you know if you and your family are being exposed to a dangerous level of radon. A certified radon mitigation expert can fix your home to lower the level to a minimal, non-dangerous level.
Watch this WTVF-TV news segment.
Metro school officials are using the summer to lower levels of radon gas in classrooms across Davidson County.
Maintenance crews have installed radon fans at three schools and the health department is working to test every school.
The testing came after a NewsChannel 5 investigation revealed that Metro forgot about or ignored a law passed by the Metro council in the late 1980's.
The law requires radon testing at all Metro schools and has now been added to the Metro Code of Laws.
Just this month, the federal government launched a new effort to warn people about the dangers of the odorless, invisible gas that is the second leading cause of lung cancer.
Gloria Linnertz knows how deadly the gas can be.
She was by her husband's side when he was diagnosed with lung cancer.
'I Was Very Confident In My Ignorance:' Woman Whose Husband Died From Radon-Related Cancer Now Works To Inform Others
Gloria Linnertz had no idea that a silent killer was lurking in her Waterloo home.
Her husband, Joe, went to the doctor in late 2005 because his liver enzymes were elevated. After a series of tests, an oncologist informed the couple that Joe had stage IV lung cancer with only weeks to live.
“When we asked the oncologist what could have caused Joe’s cancer, he said known causes of lung cancer are tobacco and radon gas. My husband hadn’t smoked in 27 years and led a healthy lifestyle,” Linnertz said.
But their home harbored dangerous levels of radon, which Linnertz maintains was responsible for her husband’s death.
“We had no idea that we were living with over four times the EPA radon action level in our home for 18 years. I didn’t know that until one month after Joe’s death. He died six weeks after he was diagnosed,” she said. Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that comes from radioactive decay in the soil. The gas is colorless, odorless and tasteless.
Click the link below to read the inspirational story of activist Linda D’Agostino from the latest issue of Radon Reporter, published by AARST. Learn how Linda and others helped plan very successful media outreach in Pennsylvania.
Gail Dobbs was diagnosed with lung cancer last year.
She didn’t smoke, and she didn’t have a family history of lung cancer.
What she had was prolonged exposure to high levels of the radioactive gas radon. It’s likely that thousands of other Georgians are being exposed, too.
“When you first get the diagnosis, it’s shocking,” said Dobbs, who is 59 and has lived in her Monroe home for 30 years. “You think ... where could it possibly come from?”
Radon is an invisible and odorless gas that breaks down from uranium, granite, shale and phosphate and seeps into soil and water. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says it’s the leading cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers and causes up to 14 percent of all lung cancer deaths each year in the U.S. That’s about 22,000 people. Georgia leads the Southeast, according to the EPA, with an average of 822 deaths yearly.
WASHINGTON, Jan. 28 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Safety Council's Radon Awards Ceremony, held tonight at the National Press Club, will recognize individuals and organizations for their contributions to reducing deaths from radon. Radon, a colorless, odorless and tasteless natural gas, is our nation's second leading cause of lung cancer, after smoking. Radon is linked to about 21,000 cancer deaths each year. It is estimated that residents of one in every 15 homes are exposed to unsafe levels of radon.
At tonight's ceremony, National Safety Council president and CEO Janet Froetscher will deliver opening remarks and award the winners of the NSC's 2009 National Radon Poster Contest, recognizing young people for their artistic efforts to educate the public about the importance of testing for radon. 2009 poster contest winners include:
1st place: Shana Stone, age 10, grade 6, Good Hope, Ga.
2nd place: Raquel Goldman, age 13, grade 8, Hollywood, Fla.
Demand Congressional Action to Protect Homebuyers; Organization Labels EPA's Radon Program a 'Deadly Failure'
Two radon-induced lung cancer survivors will be joined by two radon widows at an upcoming National Safety Council Radon Awards Ceremony at the National Press Club January 28th in Washington, DC. Co-sponsored by the U.S. EPA, the ceremony is part of National Radon Action Month (NRAM) and will recognize radon leaders and winners of the National Radon Poster Contest; but members of Cancer Survivors Against Radon (CanSAR) will utilize the event to express mounting frustration with a government radon policy deemed an "impotent and deadly failure" by Elizabeth Hoffmann, CanSAR President.
On Feb. 8, 2006, Gloria Linnertz, of Waterloo, Ill., lost her husband, Joe, to lung cancer.
That same day, Joe became a statistic — he was one of more than 21,000 people who die each year of radon-induced lung cancer in the United States.
"He led a very healthy lifestyle," said Gloria, who is vice president of the national group Cancer Survivors Against Radon. "When we asked the oncologist how he could have gotten lung cancer, he said, 'Smoking,' but Joe hadn't smoked in 27 years.