Watch this news segment.
So you've glanced over your home and addressed all the safety risks such as lead paint and asbestos, but what about the dangers you can't see.
Here we have a typical Sioux Empire basement...but something is lurking in the air you can't see or smell...and what makes this scene so scary is the fact that most people don't even know they have it...a radioactive gas called radon.
"Actually South Dakota know much this it's an up and coming thing that people are just now becoming aware of,"said Co-President of Radon Mitigation Systems, Mike Hartman.
So what is radon? Well, it's a by product of uranium decomposing in the soil . It's a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas, but the most important thing you need to know...According to the EPA Radon exposure is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking.
You’ve never seen it or smelled it or tasted it, and you probably don’t know anyone who’s suffered from its effects.
But after smoking, it’s the No. 1 cause of lung cancer in the United States, responsible for 21,000 deaths annually. That’s more than the deaths attributed to drunk driving, drownings and home fires – combined.
It can attack children and adults alike.
Radon comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rocks and water, but in the home, the gas gets into the air you breathe, and the radiation it carries can cause cancer.
South Dakota is a high-risk state when it comes to radon, and the gas can get into any type of building. The greatest risk, however, is where people spend the most time – in their own homes. And the winter, when homes are closed, is the worst time for significant radon exposure.